Digging a Hole

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Applying for Jobs... Again....

Oh, werd?
So, as Vicky noted, I have successfully had and left my first post-college job. Time to find the NEXT post-college job. I wonder if, in like 35 years, I will be referring to my 29th post-college job. Perhaps I will have my 13th post-grad school job... Who knows?
Idealist.org features lots of grant-writing jobs. Like, the entire world needs grant writers. This is clearly a skill I should learn... But if I was that good at it, I'd just write grants for myself. I could ask for a $5000 grant to run away to Ireland again! Or... an $8400 grant to cover this year's rent. I would promise to do lots of activisty stuff with my resulting free time. I think the world would benefit immensely from me having lots of spare time! =D
Anyhoo, if there's one job I can get, it's street canvassing good 'ol NYC. As far as I can tell, that is the only job being offered on Craigslist. I can canvass to SAVE THE CHILDREN! or SAVE THE ARCTIC NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE! or SAVE LGBT RIGHTS! or even SAVE MY RENT PAYMENTS!!
But I would really like to expand my resume a bit. That's why the following post caught my eye: Collective Seeking Activist/Dogwalker/Catsitter in Queens
No, I did not make that up. It's a dogwalking collective called Dogwalking for the Rainforest/Petsitting for Non-Profits. They donate part of what they make to nonprofits... and... the... rainforest...? I guess... It was the longest posting I have ever seen on Craigslist. I was going to skip to the end when I saw: "You will not be considered if you don't take the time to read through this ad." Well, fuck.
Had I not read the ad, though, I would have missed the following:
BEST LINES IN THE DOGWALKER COLLECTIVE AD:
1) We need someone available to work for at least a one year period. (we do understand there are emergencies and activist as well as family obligations)
2) We aren't perfect as human beings.
3) We are interested in helping the collective as a whole.
4) We try and put the professional needs of the animals before any personal conflicts between walkers. Not that you would have any.
5) If brought in your first week or two with the collective might be a little overwhelming.
Why is the left so..... like this? =)
Yargh... the search for a job continues. And for a Montclair bus schedule.

1 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that grant writing can pay really well. Know why? Because writing grants is drill-holes-in-your-brain boring.

Good luck Kerry!

--Sara

Also, I like this "word verification" feature that I have to use now to post an anonymous comment here. It feels like I'm buying tickets for something cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home