Digging a Hole

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Woo Capitalism!

Oh werd?
So, since I STILL don't know where my XT is going to be (bear in mind I leave Thursday), I decided that the only way to prepare for it this weekend, obviously, was to....
GO SHOPPING!!!
I hardly ever do this in large quantities. Not to get all Wesleyan on y'all, but malls scare the ever-living crap out of me. I am sooooo not as cool as everyone else there. Alas. But... I *really* needed some new bras, so I decided to brave Victoria's Secret.
Some of you, dear readers, may remember my story from last year about shopping at VC (Viet Cong?). Lots of women in black power suits chase you around with pink tape measure and insist, in thick Eastern European accents, that you have selected "a good bra" but that you have clearly not seen the "more fabulous" bras in the next room.
Me: Oh, that's okay, I like this one.
Eastern Euro Power Suit (EEPS): That is a *less* fabulous bra.
Me: I have a less fabulous checking account, so this is fine. And back off with the tape measure.
But today, alas, the bra I was trying on just didn't seem *quite* right. So, after watching many "less fabulous" people getting lots of help from the EEPS, I decided to grab one myself.
Me: Um, yeah, this size usually fits, but this one feels wrong. Are there any like, sample ones without a giant security brick attached that I can try?
EEPS: No, but I can just take your measurements.
Me: ....Kay...
EEPS: You are clearly one size bigger.
Me: Really? Oh.
EEPS: Try all these on. :::passes armload of bras::: :::shoves me in room:::
(10 minutes elapse) (elapse! SAT word!)
Me: (exiting stall): Thanks.
EEPS: Which one fit?
Me: (hesitantly) I guess the size you said I was.
EEPS: No no no. Try them on again and let me see.
Me: ...Kay...
So, after many attempts, EEPS finally settled on, gasp!, the size I had always thought I was anyhoo. It was a "very fabulous" shopping experience though. Imagine if there were like, professonal jeans-sizers?
In other "I am a consumer" news, I fell in love with a pair of sneakers and then they broke my heart (or, weren't in my size). I was like, in the capitalism zone today.
And I got the Dumb and Dumber Sdtk for 3 bucks. 1994-tastic!
So, tomorrow I'll find out where my cross-train (XT) is actually going to be. I hope it's Florida. Then I can wear my new sandals. =D

7 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear where you're going!

I just don't get how "Victoria's Secret" is acronymed "VC". But maybe I'm missing something.

Speaking of the VC, I should be working on my paper about Vietnam (20 pages; due in 8 days. hmm). But Beth's beef stew (no joke!) is just about ready downstairs..

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger amanda said...

if you come to the MA, you can see world/inferno in the people's republic! or, in the middle east, depending how specific you get with the location. alas, it didn't sound like beantown was in the cards for ya...

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, if you need a bra that fits, you should go to Lady Grace (although it might just be a Boston store)-- I was totally traumatized the first time I went there, but now I can't recommend it enough. Instead of fancy women in power suits, there are old Russian women. And while you can begin to imagine why I was traumatized the first time I went there, those old Russian women really know their stuff (well, technically your stuff). Lady Grace, man, I'm not kidding...
~Sara

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger KPd. said...

I have no idea why I abbreviated it "VC". Sometimes my brain acts in weirdly wired ways, and this is a good example. I think the C in seCret stands out to me more than the S does.... or something...
:::shrug:::

 
At 1:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love how i didn't *notice* that VC was wrong. or... different. i wish i could give wise bra advice like sara, but they've discontinuted my favorite bra and i'm still bitter.

and how were you *clearly* one size bigger when you... weren't actually? silly bra ladies.

go for the russian women!


PS-- at least they weren't naked and trapsing around the bathroom in a thong making all of the americans uncomfortable

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger KPd. said...

Hmm...
Naked in a thong....
This *sounds* really familiar,... and I have a blurry image... Refresh my memory...

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger amanda said...

galway! that naked dude who, like, didn't even work there but wandered around the bathrooms naked
... hm, i made that sound wicked sketch... it was only kinda sketch at the time

 

Post a Comment

<< Home