Digging a Hole

Sunday, November 28, 2004

Physical Fitness in the Real World

Oh werd,
So I've been reactivating my running routine during the off/on warm weather of the past week, and, just for fun, I decided to look up various military physical fitness standards. This led me to some recruiting pages (no surprises there) which I ended up perusing as well (hey, it's a tough job market!).
There's a really fun quiz at military.com where you check boxes of things you are interested in doing/learning and they tell you what jobs in the military you would enjoy. For example, if you check only, "I'd like to paint a mural," that means there are NO jobs in the military for you. Why they put that in as an option is a mystery...
But if you ALSO check, "Study foreign countries, politics, and the military," then you might want to consider a career as a Photographic Intelligence Officer (mapreader) (naviguesser?). Add "Work to protect the environment," and it sounds to me like you'd make a great Counterintelligence Agent. Cool!
Some who know me know that I gave serious consideration to the Coast Guard before college. But, I don't actually think that I'm actually gonna enlist, though it is occasionally tempting...
PS: So, when I was a high school athlete, I was really good at pushups. Since then I've lost my touch, so to speak. Anyone have any suggestions for working back into the ability to do them easily?

4 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Blogger  said...

A method to easing back into regular pushups, my high school tennis coach taught me was: Find Some Stairs, place your hands on the 2nd or 3rd stair (depending how easy you want to start off) and then place your legs/feet in pushup position and proceed with pushup....you can then work your way down to the 2nd or 1st stair till you finally are able to reach the ground, thus completing a full pushup!

 
At 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's much better than what I had to say. which was,... uh... do a bunch of them, and it will become easier :-)

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger amanda said...

that sounds like what i was gonna say too... but, i mean, it works!

you can also start with the kind from your knees, preferably on the carpet or other relatively soft surface.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger KPd. said...

Well, if I could still do a bunch of them, it wouldn't be a problem. Duh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home