Digging a Hole

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Yes, I Have to Work Today

Oh, werd?
Weekend snow would have been lovely. Then, I could have watched it fall while tucked warmly in my blankets making vague plans for sledding and hot chocolate later in the day. Unfortunately, Saturday brought only a bitterly cold, grey (British grey) day with not a flake. Today, our small overnight snow storm has been upgraded to a blizzard warning, and the snow which was to stop falling at noon will now go until midnight.
What does this mean for east coast canvassers? Well, in theory, those of us who had vacation days could take them. I have budgeted all of mine for a trip to Ireland in two weeks, though... But the problem remains that newer staff don't have that luxury, and since canvassers raise their own salary, a day skipped is a day unpaid. And so, my mind wanders not to thoughts of rosy cheeks and cocoa, but to thoughts that perhaps a desk job is not such a bad thing.
So, while you enjoy your days off or your indoor jobs, please remember the canvassers of PA, NY, and NJEF because we will all spend the day outdoors.

Here is a blizzard-tage of the previous best bad winter weather canvasses:

Springfield, Winter 2006:
Contact: I can't open my door.
KPd.: Oh, don't worry. We are registered with the police department.
Contact: No, seriously. I can't open my door. The snow drift is piled too high.

KPd.: Hi! I'm Kerry
:::door opens:::
:::entire contents of roof slide down onto my head:::
:::door closes:::

Erok on phone: I am at a deli with five scratch off lottery tickets. I am going to try to win standard for everyone, so we can all go home.
Sarah: Did we win?
Erok: No... Sorry.
Shamar: I say we go home anyway.

Cedar Grove, Winter 2008:
KPd. (on phone): What do you do if the van is sliding on an icy hill?
Erok: Hmm... Well...
KPd.: You might want to make this quick because we are about to involuntarily back out onto Bloomfield Avenue.

Allendale, Winter 2009:
Erok: I need you to pick up Lacey. She fell on ice.
KPd.: Okay. Let me get June to help.
Erok (five minutes later): Also, look for Chris. He slipped and dislocated his shoulder.
KPd.: Okay. Still walking to the burb. Oh, I see June. June!
:::slips and lands on head:::
June: Are you alright?
KPd.: Here're the keys. I need you to get the burb and pick up me, Chris, and Lacey.

Columbus, Ohio, Winter 2009:
KPd. (on phone): It's snowing but the [group I can't name because they will send Eric an angry email] has us driving around in death traps with bald tires.
Kevin: It can't be that bad.
Liz: We had to scrape ice off the INSIDE of the windshield.
Kevin: Oh... Ohio could use a little climate change.

East Lansing, Michigan, Winter 2005:
KPd.: Does it ever not snow here?
Canvass Director: It's the lake effect.
:::boom:::
KPd.: Was that thunder?!
Canvass Director: That happens here sometimes.

Verona, every winter storm:
Verona man: How come you always come when the weather is so bad?
KPd.: Because you are the closest neighborhood to our office that we can get to.
Verona man: Oh, well, if you help shovel while I get my wallet, I'll give twenty.

Verona woman: I don't open my door when it is snowing.
KPd.: It's always snowing when we come here.
Verona woman: Well, so much for global warming then, huh?

2 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger AKFortyKevin said...

Ah, Verona. Brings back memories. Bad ones, but still.

Verona is where I spent an hour helping cars up a hill because they kept sliding back down into a busy thoroughfare. Probably the most productive hour I spent that night.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Slugtrail Slime said...

Yes. Wednesday was quite an experience. I hope it is not simply a prelude to Ohio.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home