Digging a Hole

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Democracy Inaction

Oh, werd?
Sometimes, when I am feeling cheeky, I will introduce myself to contacts as a "community organizer". I actually rarely did that before the presidential election, but it elicits such great reactions from people now. Either people are ready to fly a kamikaze mission for Obama, or they are ready to fly one at him.
For example:
KPd.: Hi! I'm Kerry! I'm a community organizer working to stop dumping in Barnegat Bay! =D
Old White Guy: What did you introduce yourself as?
KPd.: A community... organizer....?
OWG: I don't like that phrase.
KPd.: Why?
OWG: ......Um....
The unfortunate conclusion I have been forced to reach is that many Americans are really really stupid. Bill Mahr reached this conclusion as well, I believe.
The other possible option is that many Americans are really really racist, but they know that it is not polite, so they make illogical policy arguments instead of just coming out and revealing their hatred of black presidents.
Take this exchange in Freehold, NJ:
KPd.: Yeah, the power plant is causing fish kills in Barnegat Bay. We are working to require the facilities to upgrade so that we can protect the Jersey fishing grounds.
OWG: I love striper fishing!
KPd.: Me too!
OWG: But... you know... I just don't like the way this country is going...
KPd.: Oh, yeah? How do you mean?
OWG: You know...
KPd.: You mean the fish kills?
OWG: No, no, no... you know....
KPd.: I'm sorry. I don't know.
OWG: How could they let a black man run this country!?

Oh.

The other recent common expression of racism is the denial of racism. As in, "I'm not a racist but..."
I overheard this conversation between two old white guys walking dogs in Bergen County.
OWG1: There sure is a lot of debate about this healthcare bill.
OWG2: What do you think about it?
OWG1: Well, I am not sure yet. I don't know a lot about it.
OWG2: Well you know what bothers me? I can't call Obama a communist without someone else calling me a racist. I'm not racist! I just don't like the guy. I don't trust him. It's a gut feeling.
OWG1: Hey! What's that girl selling?!
KPd.: Nothing guys. Just working to stop the dumping in Barneget Bay.
OWG1: The bay?! I fish there! See? There's an issue we can all support.
OWG2: This isn't an Obama thing, is it?

:::sigh:::

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home