Digging a Hole

Friday, January 15, 2010

My Computer is Back On!

Oh, werd?
My computer (Skylar, you may remember, is its name) is... well... old. Once upon a time it and I were fresh-faced recent college grads starting a new life together in Brooklyn. Now I am grumbling about my aching knees, and Skylar can't handle the dancing ads on weather.com and refuses to open the cd drive without prodding.

Crowd: You still use your cd drive? Get a flash drive! It's Oh-Ten!
Me: Shh... You'll scare the cd. I think it's coming out now.

Anyhoo, Eric decided to help me update my computer for Christmas which of course scared me to death. I agreed he could open Skylar up and mess with its guts only while I was locked in the bathroom taking a shower. I couldn't watch.
Eric carefully followed the Dell directions and installed the new Dell memory. I turned on Skylar. So far so good... I turned on weather.com. The ads danced and frolicked across the screen. I turned on iTunes. I burned a cd. I played a movie. I flipped through my photo album. Skylar handled all these tasks simultaneously with ease. Then, without warning...
WHAM! Blue screen of death!!!
Apparently, Dell had instructed Eric to install twice as much memory as Skylar could handle, so it turned itself off to prevent a total meltdown. It was the old computer equivalent of an erection lasting more than four hours. Time to call a doctor.
After weeks of waiting, the correct amount of memory arrived in the mail. It has been installed. My computer is now operating like a new computer from... let's say... around late 2007. Which is a dramatic improvement.
And means I can blog again!
If anyone other than Sam cares...
(Hi, Sam!)
(Thanks Eric!)

3 Comments:

At 12:07 AM, Blogger amanda said...

i care too!

i'm blogging again too, too!

i was just thinking about you and eric today, in fact. we're planning our garden! i'm about to post a blog about it, and about our new place.

when are you visiting again? =D

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Slugtrail Slime said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Slugtrail Slime said...

BLOGGING!!!!!!! I'm very excited to see what kind of crazy shenanigans will get into this. Oh you'd better bet that I will be in some -- probably on purpose.

I think if you click my name you can get to my blog. If not then it is slugtrailslime.blogspot.com

also I want to point out that Kerry requested I do that. I am not plugging my crappy writing via blog. Although I should start doing that.

also, I don't know who I am pointing things out to.

INTERNET!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home