Digging a Hole

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Skateboarding With the Quakers

Werd,
This evening, as I was avoiding looking for jobs, I randomly looked up the MTV show "Viva la Bam" about that skater kid/adult/whatever who messes with his family with a huge MTV budget. I couldn't really figure out why I was at that site. I just figured it out, though. It all started when I went to Quaker meeting in Montclair with my dad today because I shook on it last week. That's a binding promise.
So, the idea is, you sit in a fairly comfortable room for an hour and reflect on stuff. If you feel that you are being moved by God, you say something to the meeting. If you are not sure whether what you are thinking is coming from God or from your ego, you save it for the "afterthoughts" section. So, what can happen, as happened today, is that no one says anything FOR AN HOUR.
This can be very trying for one with a short attention span such as me. I tried to reflect on stuff in a Godly way, but I figured that *trying* was the wrong idea entirely. So, instead, I blanked my mind out and waited to see what would come to it. I stared at people. I stared at the most recent drum blisters on my right hand (rocked the set yesterday). I looked out the window. Werd, an hour is a long time. Now I know why Quakers have no problem getting arrested all the time. Jail could enduce an epileptic seizure as compared to meeting. I thought jail was the most boring place on earth. I was wrong.
So, once I established that God wasn't sending me any wisdom, I decided to stop staring at things and *really* blank my mind. What thoughts would I be sent? Skateboards. WTF, mate?
I make no claims to being able to skateboard. In middle school and high school, most of the boys I was friends with had boards... and in theory could skate... so I could get around on one assuming there were no curbs to jump or rails to ride on. In high school, a bunch of us hung out in the halls after school got out, and I used to watch this one kid try to jump the stairs every afternoon. (This same kid lost his spleen when the bread truck he was being pulled by stopped suddenly, and he plowed into the back of it.) I thought about that, and getting dumped in a school garbage can upon meeting the after school crew, and about the time we locked Andy in the girls bathroom with his trumpet, and he played until a custodian came and writ us all up. But yeah, in summary, skateboarding is not really a large component of my life (and by "not really a large component" i mean "not a component at all").
But I thought about skateboarding and skateboards for a good 15 or 20 minutes. This was very odd. Was God trying to send me a crucial skateboarding message? Was I being moved by God.... to talk to the meeting about skateboards? Probably not, so I didn't, but it would have been very entertaining.
I left the meeting feeling pretty damn refreshed. Skateboarding in your head for half an hour will do that. It was kind of like listening to headphones in the back of the van on a long car trip. Same day-dreamy refreshed feeling. Spirituality KP-style. =) But I don't think I can handle sitting still and quiet for an hour every week even if I feel refreshed afterwards.
Oh, yeah, so that's probably why I was flipping through the MTV site today. Weird.
Disclaimer: So, yeah, this was less a story than random internal ponderings, but like, nothing happened at Quaker meeting BUT random internal ponderings. That's the whole point. Werd.

1 Comments:

At 1:32 AM, Blogger amanda said...

Maybe God wanted you to feel refreshed. Or maybe God likes the new Green Day song too and the song makes God think of skateboarding... Or it was more about memories of middle and high school than skateboarding per se...

I hear that sitting quietly for about an hour a week makes a person way less materialistic. Hence Buddhism. Actually I heard that from a Buddhist.

I mean, the silent meeting comes from the whole idea of that of God in everyone, which is what leads to the strong belief in discussion and consensus too. Somehow all this also leads to a very white religion, which New England yearly meeting focused on, but I didn't go 'cuz it was far away so I dunno what they talked about per se or decided. Oh and it leads to pacifism, cuz hey, nobody should kill God. I guess my point is, I think it's a pretty cool way to run a religious meeting. But I also don't usually go. More because of the early morning thing. There should be an offshoot that believes in that of late sleeper in me, or at least allows some Gods in mes to sleep in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home