Digging a Hole

Saturday, September 18, 2004

"The Resistance is Now Paying. Ask Us."

Werd. That is what the sign hanging from the front door of the New Jersey Environmental Federation (Clean Water Action, NJ) says. Now *some* people (coughAerobcough) seem to think that canvassing for a green group is not "the resistance". Some of those "some people" (less so Aerob) probably think that the resistance involves eating out of trash cans and holding conferences for each other. Unfortunately, that type of resistance, while a lot of fun at times, doesn't get as much done as the NJEF, but power to it all the same. Community is important too.
Anyhoo, so, canvassing. I mean.... asking rich people for money is never fun, unless you kind of think of yourself as an environmental Robin Hood. Or a door to door salesperson in a retr0 1950s kinda way. Yeah....
So, the people at the office are good people. The pay is wobbly depending on how much you make going door to door, but it appears that everyone working there has no problem getting the amount they need each night.
Here are some quickie stories from my very first night out observing this one kid for a while and then striking out on my own:
(DING DONG)
Canvass Kid: Hi, my name is CK and I'm with the etc. etc. We are an organization that protects NJ's drinking water by defending against overdevelopment.
Homeowner: I'm a developer.
(DING DONG)
CK: I'll pass this in to you so you can take a look at what some of your neighbors have been signing on to.
Homeowner: My immigration lawyer says that if I sign any petitions I will be deported.
(DING DONG)
Me: Hi etc etc...
Homeowner: What are you selling?
Me: Oh, I'm not selling anything.
Homeowner: Are you a beggar?! We don't like beggars around here.
Me: Well, I'm with-
Homeowner: Step inside where I can see ya! Come on! GRANDMA! COME IN HERE!
Grandma: Who's this?
Homeowner: Dunno.
Me: Hi, I'm Kerry and-
Grandma: Are you a beggar?!
(DING DONG)
Me: Hi I'm-
***GIANT DOG ATTACK***
(DING DONG)
Homeowner (from behind door): GET OFF MY STEPS!!
(DING DONG)
Homeowner (old woman): WHO'S OUT THERE?!
Me: Hi, uh, my name is Kerry and I'm etc etc.
Homeowner: Oh....
***door opens a crack...***
Homeowner: I'm 90.
Me: Wow! Congratulations!
Homeowner: I have a grandaughter your age.
Me: Well, protecting the water supply is important for future generations.
Homeowner: Clever. God Bless you child.
(DING DONG)
Me: Fuck it. Can I have some money?
So, I will be a parttime canvasser for at least a little while. Boo. The search for an actual job continues.
And Green Day tickets....

3 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger amanda said...

wow, that last bit plays kinda like an indie movie =)

ok all i'm saying is, the resistance doesn't strike me as something that uses the usual channels (lobbying, letter-writing, voting...). i mean, everyone resists *something*... one could say the developers are resisting the environmentalists, but nobody ever calls developers the resistance.

i still start singing south park songs in my head whenever i hear the word resistance. oh and les miserables. ('when the beating of your heart echoes the beating of the drums..')

oh and on the commenting bit... i'll start when you do. and now of course. but badassUrl needs some comment love too =)

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger KPd. said...

Yeah, but developers can't be the resistance because they are part of the power structure. A ragtag environmental organization doesn't have power, so it is in a position to resist it. The developers are defending power. Extremely generally speaking....

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger Ben said...

(((Homeowner: I have a grandaughter your age.
Me: Well, protecting the water supply is important for future generations.
Homeowner: Clever. God Bless you child.)))

Slick.
-b

 

Post a Comment

<< Home