Digging a Hole

Friday, February 27, 2009

Here Comes the Sun!

Oh, werd?
At the risk of sounding like my dad, I am going to discuss the sun.
On Monday, a brutally cold wind blew through Basking Ridge, NJ. The sun set, and the rural suburbs descended into total darkness. On Tuesday, the weather began to thaw, and I noticed a startling fact: The sun doesn't completely set until after six o clock again! On Wednesday, I saw some sort of spring bulb-type plant pushing through the dirt. Yesterday, I did not wear a winter hat or wool socks for the first time in months (not counting that odd warm weekend a few weeks ago). I was so excited to wear a pair of socks not-from-Campmor that I selected my Christmas lobster socks and proudly displayed them to every family in Bedminster so that they could share my joy.
My warm weather euphoria is so irrational that I even began to consider the possibility that I am manic depressive or bipolar. I ran three miles in my fastest time ever. I wished people a "Happy Spring!" in February. I was caught dancing to somebody's doorbell ringtone on their porch. Mania is fun and productive!
I am not alone in this joyful behavior, though. After consulting a panel of experts (my parents), I discovered that they also have been feeling the urge to go for long walks outside or get a puppy. They attributed this to longer days and the new U2 album. Apparently, showing off one's lobster socks is a natural reaction to the increased exposure to sunlight, warmth, and Bono. Literally, I have spring fever.

1 Comments:

At 1:45 AM, Blogger Bad Decision Maker said...

lol, the 60-degree stint here a few weeks ago also prompted me to consider diagnosing myself as bipolar. except mine was also accompanied by late-night dance parties to britney spears videos on youtube. by myself.

but after this terrible winter, it doesn't even have to be 60. on a 39-degree day prior to the 60, my roommate came home and said, it's warm enough to have the windows down while driving! i questioned that at 39 degrees, but then i was driving and i rolled down the window and it was incredible and i wanted to frolick and jump for joy and love the world! and i saw several other people with arms hanging out the window.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home