Digging a Hole

Friday, December 12, 2008

It's a Christmas Miracle!

Oh, werd?
So, I was under the impression that only my college roommates, boyfriend, and dad read my blog. I was wrong. Apparently, I have secret followers! Awesome. Feel free to comment so that I can add you to my hand-drawn map of readers.
Anyhoo, December is both the best and the worst time to be a canvasser. It's the best because there are Christmas lights. It's the worst because it's dark before we get out of the burb. It's the best because you get to say "Happy Holidays!" like thirty to forty times a day. It's the worst because occasionally people you greet with "Happy Holidays!" accuse you of perpetrating the WAR ON CHRISTMAS! Luckily, someone is distributing car magnets that say, "It's okay to say Merry Christmas to me," to reduce the confusion. Phwew! It's the best because according to people I canvassed in June, people do all of their giving at the end of the year. It's the worst because people I canvassed last night did all of their giving in June. WTF, mate?
Last night was a case study in horribleness. Freezing rain drove sideways. Wind whipped umbrellas inside-out. The weather made walking difficult, so after over two hours of futility, I realized I would not be able to cover my whole neighborhood, and I had a choice. Should I walk left or right at an intersection? Turning to the left, I saw several large, well-lit houses. To the right, the houses were smaller and darker and even more rundown than the homes of the poor but friendly people I had met thus far. The only interesting thing to the right was an elaborate homemade manger scene on one lawn featuring a lit-up star perched atop a flagpole. I decided to throw it up to the canvassing gods (which are real) and took the star as my sign. Like Indiana Jones, I chose wisely.
The very first woman who came to the door took one look at my drenched rain suit and opened her door. She prepared some tea and then explained who she was. In 1987, her and other neighbors had organized to fight the planned garbage incinerator that would have allowed the entire county's trash to be trucked to and burned in her hometown. I had happened to stumble upon the biggest grassroots activist in the area. She was very helpful, warmed me up, and changed the tone of the night.
And all from following a star...
...made out of plastic...
...on a flagpole...

1 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger doyle said...

OK, pretend I'm not Dad.
But this one was effin' wonderful.

A real Christmas tale--it took Dickens 2 billion more words to say the same thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home