Digging a Hole

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

iLuddite

Oh, werd?
I am posting in my blog again. I was prompted by a few things, but I believe the clincher was when one of my best friends texted me this:
Aerob: Dude! I commented on your dad's blog!
My dad has a blog? And people in Brooklyn think it is cool?
And... CRAP!... my blog is linked to it?!
As they say in Fort Wayne, Indiana, oh dang.
"Okay..." I thought, "So how hard could catching up with the blogging world really be?"
It turns out other people's blogs (i.e. my dad's) have these cool map counters that allow you to tell how many people are reading your posts and where these people are from. So when my dad said, "I got a hit from India!" it was not a drug reference. It was a reference to how much more technologically advanced he is then me. I have no idea how to set one of these up, so if you read my blog and you are from somewhere cool, please leave a comment detailing your cool location. Every once in a while, I will draw a map on a piece of paper with dots representing my readers. Then, using a digital camera, I will photograph this map and post it on Facebook which I learned how to do last month. Sweet!
In other technology news, my computer is doing that thing where, when you type, nothing appears for a while. This is because my computer is running a virus scan, and I don't know how to make it stop. It does not multi-task well. The cool hipster Mac guy from the commercials would likely laugh at it. I and my computer would both function better if the advertisers at Apple would stop attacking our self esteems. It is for this reason (and the fact that I don't think my computer could handle running iTunes) that I do not have an iPod. Besides, I say, never own a piece of electronics that you can't take apart to fix. That's why I own a discman. One time, my discman was broken, so I threw it at my dorm wall. This was seven years ago. It still works. I rest my case.
Anyhoo, the reason all of this matters is that the last time I posted to my blog, I could simply type in my username and password to log in. Now I need to use my gmail account. I don't remember how to even access my gmail account. Blogger and gmail forced me to answer several identity verification questions that I wrote six years ago thinking they were funny such as "What was your first mammalian pet's name?" and "Abbreviate the following: Striking a blow at the heart of the system."
Well, the system wins. I have a gmail account. I have a facebook page. I am writing in my blog again. I still have a discman, though, and every time blogger autosaves, it causes my computer to, ironically, crash, so writing this has taken over two hours. I suppose I should really catch up with technology as this may make me more marketable in the workforce, but hey, when I look out my window, I see pumpkins growing, and the new batch of ginger beer is bubbling away in the closet. If the economy gets so bad that we go back to bartering and burning cds, I'll be okay. Will you?

2 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Yay blog post!

This means I should update too.

Ooh! If you want to get around the auto-save thing, you can set it up so that you can post by email. It's how I live-blogged jury duty, since they block blogger.com from the free wifi in the courthouse.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger  said...

it's lame that blogger forced us all to link up with our gmail account--welcome back to the blogging sphere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home